Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI)plays a leading role in addressing the national energy and water security grand challenges through research and development (R&D). Aligned with the Qatar National Vision 2030’s strategy of transforming the State into a diverse and sustainable knowledge-based economy, QEERI’s water R&D program is developing innovative technologies in water desalination and treatment; water quality and reuse; aquifer recharge; and climate change and atmospheric science. QEERI’s energy R&D focuses on solar photovoltaics (PV), energy storage and smart grids.
HBKU, a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, is a research university located within Education City in Doha, Qatar.
The successful candidate should have:
Experience in water treatment, process engineering, project or task management (familiarity with regulatory requirements is preferred.)
Job description: The work shall be office/lab oratory-based with field visits to laboratories and partners in Qatar.The Senior Scientist will work closely with the Research Director (RD) and Portfolio lead andmaintain intensive communications with QEERI scientists, HBKU facilities management, local and international partners.The Senior Scientist is expected to take the initiative in proposing solutions to different challenges facing their research programs.While some standards will be provided in the initial phase, the Scientist will be expected to be creative and propose new models and mechanisms for efficient and successful completion of the mission of the research program and the overall research institute.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conducting bench and pilot plant studies related to process development and optimization for wastewater treatment and seawater desalination;
- Assisting in review of water quality data in support of preliminary designs of seawater and wastewater treatment systems;
- Evaluating, selecting, and applying standard techniques, processes, or calculations to perform a task;
- Performing field sampling involving seawater, treated sewage water, produced water, groundwater, surface water, and sediments;
- Compiling, organizing, and evaluating laboratory and field data for incorporation into technical reports;
- Modelling of biological, chemical, and physical unit in seawater/wastewater treatment processes;
- Preparing drafts of portions of bench and pilot equipment operation manuals;
- Participating in proposal preparation and project planning including developing work scope, task-level budgets, and cost estimates;
- Using judgment to determine optimization and adaptations in methods for non-routine projects;
- Helping with laboratory design, safety, waste disposal and training students;
- Developing new methods, procedures, protocols, and techniques for water treatment;
- Providing coaching and mentoring to junior-level staff and field technicians;
- Supervising graduate students (MSc and PhD) and conducting fundamental and applied research;
- Writing technical reports, manuscripts, scientific papers for the principal investigator (PI) and peer-reviewed journals, conferences, etc.
Key result areas
- Installation, commissioning and operation of bench and pilot equipment (RO, MED, MD, DAF, XI, coagulation, and oxidation, etc.) inthe waterprocesslab.
- Training of local staff on the main treatment systems in the laboratories.
- Optimization of operation parameters for the bench and pilot equipment for seawater treatment and wastewater treatment.
- Preparing updatedoperation manualsfor bench and pilot equipment in the lab.
- Two to three good articles per year in good impact international journals/conferences with the water team.
- Establishment of research ideas that may lead to commercialization and market deployment of new methods and technologies.
- Scientific reports and regular seminars inside and outside Qatar in full coordination with the Research Director as well as the group members and relevant research centres inside and outside Qatar.
- Participation in scientific conferences, workshops and seminars that assists in producing papers, book chapters, reports, and patents.
- Other types of deliverablesdepending on the project at hand, such as in the form of databases, drawings, etc.
This job works within broad procedures and practices that have clear precedents with operational guidance being readily available if needed. It is subject to managerial control and review of results upon completion.