Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, is an emerging, research-intensive university that is building its foundation upon unique collaborations with the best local and international institutions. HBKU delivers world-class, research-based undergraduate and graduate programs through its College of Science and Engineering, College of Law and Public Policy, College of Health and Life Sciences, College of Islamic Studies, and College of Humanities and Social Science. It also provides unparalleled opportunities for research and scholarship through its research institutes, and its Center of Executive Education delivers customized programs for the business community of Qatar and the region.
The Desalination and Water Reuse program at QEERI is seeking an individual with strongresearch skills to fill a Post-Doctoral Research Associate position fora project related to solar thermal desalination and the development and testing of processes for resource recovery and desalination of hypersaline groundwater. The position is availablethroughan awarded project (NPRP9-028-2-012) that is titled “Development of Solar Driven Adsorption Water Desalination/Cooling System Using Advanced Metal Organic Framework Material” with a partnership with Birmingham University in the United Kingdom.
The initial appointment is for one year. Extensions are possible.
The successful applicant should have:
- Good research expertise in modeling solar linear Fresnel Collector and membrane distillation (MD), with specific emphasis on vacuum MD simulations.
- The ability and interest to pursue challenging, interdisciplinary problems, and the ability to deliver proof-of-concept results.
- High motivation with a strong desire to work in applied research; comfort working in strict collaborations with colleagues;and the willingness to be directly responsible for projects.
The successful candidate should also have:
- A recent PhD degree in mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Practical experience with conventional thermal and membrane-based desalination processes (e.g., MSF, MED, SWRO).
- Knowledge in solar thermal and solar-driven desalination technologies, hybrid and new processes such as nanofiltration, membrane distillation and forward osmosis.
- Knowledge of adsorption/cooling cycles.
- Strong experience in programming, CFD and techno-economical process modeling.
- Ability of pilot plant operation and analysis of operating data.
- Ability to work independently with aclear sense of purpose and accountability.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a salary and additional benefits such as accommodation, annual airfare, paid annual leave, education assistance (for children up to age 18), and medical insurance.